~Discuss the matchup against the teddy bear here~
~Discuss the matchup against the teddy bear here~
Last edited by Zorgen; 03-10-2012 at 12:04 AM.
I only have a little bit of experience here, but be wary when poking midscreen. His 5B counters your 5C, but gets FCed by your 2C.
Allright, i guess i'll get started.
Teddie is an unholy combination of a zoner/rushdown. he can consistently switch between styles depending on the Item that is next in stock. First let me start by saying..
TEDDIE'S ITEM ORDER IS NOT RANDOM
this isn't like platinum from blayburu. His items are in set order and the item list carries over between rounds. so say if teddie(you won't know this) had muscle drink next but didn't use it and the round ended, this means the next round he will begin with that item in stock first. There are 13 items in total. I recommend that you memorize his item order, it will help you ALOT in this matchup.
1) MF-06S Brahman - A green action figure that transforms into a rocket. After a short amount of time, it will launch into the air and fly diagonally in the same direction as the opponent. Once it launches, it will fly straight until it leaves the screen. Can be cancelled by other projectiles. Active from end of start up until it leaves the screen.
2) Dr. Salt Neo(Soda basically) - It gives you 20SP. Whoever picks it up earns the free meter however, this could be a bait on both sides.
3) Dry Ice - It freezes on hit. It's one of teddie's best items. one of it's perks is, when it is summoned it launches pretty high in the air and it stays out for a bit so be careful.
4) Smart Bomb - A bomb attached to a parachute will float slowly and then explode after a set amount of time. No matter where it's thrown, it'll always appear directly over the opponent. It's hitbox hits above it, so it's mostly a tool for controlling space in the air. AIR UNBLOCKABLE
Teddie can use this item to set up an unblockable by throwing it in the corner and ending a combo with Bearscrew A as an unblockable tech trap. It can also be used for a situational burst bait and punish in the corner (bursting puts one airborne, so if someone bursts under the bomb they will very likely be hit).
5) Oil Drum(NOT A BARREL DAMMIT) - imo, TEDDIE's 2ND BEST ITEM. Thrown into the air and then rolls across the ground at about the same speed as Teddie's walking speed. Extremely active and stays out for a long time. If it hits the opponent in the air, they will continually bounce off the barrel until it goes away. if you choose to block the OD, prepare to guess mixups..but lucky us, teddie has a non existent high-low game(correct if i'm wrong)...that's right.. all of his aerials.. ALL OF THEM. you can block low.
Recommend gliding to the other side(BAM! problem solved) however if you jump and it tags you, you're gonna be juggling on the oil drum until it goes away xD. teddie can't really get alot of damage from this way.
6) Vanish Ball(Smoke Bomb): Creates a cloud of smoke. You can hide an AoA or Tick throw, other than that it is pretty useless.
7) Fire Cracker - A firecracker shoots up and down across the screen. Very fast and travels pretty far. Good for catching opponents who aren't paying attention. Can be cancelled out by other projectiles. Active from start up until it leaves the screen. It starts up hella fast.
8) Ball Lightning - A Japanese pellet drum. After it lands on the ground, it'll shoot lighting after a set amount of time. The lightning inflicts Shock on hit. Guaranteed once out, so it can be used as a defensive tool.
9) Muscle Drink - Restores 1000 HP, but inflicts Rage status. You can pick this up as a risky way to gain HP or push the opponent into it to set up unblockables. I'd say avoid running anywhere near this item, we can't afford to take double damage.
10) Pinwheel - Pinwheel flies across the screen in a backwards C shape. Good for covering space. It's also a good defensive tool. Please be wary because this item DOES fly back.
11) Heavy Armor Agni - A red action figure that turns into a rocket and launches. Flies towards the opponent. Will bounce off the wall once and fly back towards the opponent. Can be cancelled out by other projectiles. Active from start up until it leaves the
12) Mystery Food X - Curry that has poison in it. if you run into it, you'll be poisoned.
13) Amagiya Buckets - This Item is an NIGHTMARE. A rain of buckets on fire. Kintoki-Douji will throw one bucket. Drums will sound before a bunch of buckets buckets rain down. Attack will not come out if Teddie or Kintoki-Douji is hit during start up. However, it's guaranteed past start up and covers a lot of space. If you are hit by these, you will instantly be inflicted with confusion.
Allright that pretty much wraps up the Item game. PLEASE remember the item order/effects. it will make your life vs. teddie alot easier.
[Stuff to Watch Out For]
Teddie has a ton load of great normals. It can make fighting him head up difficult.
J.A - Teddie kicks his feet at the opponent. JC'able. a great jump in tool and puts the opponent in a decent amount of blockstun however, it isn't an overhead as a mentioned before none of teddie's air moves are.
J.B - Teddie turns into a soccer player and kicks down. This instantly knocks you down to the floor giving teddie the perfect opportunity for Oki into Summon Item. He recovers pretty quickly from this normal and it also JC. He can also control where he lands if he hits you with this making it really good for crossups. so watch out for Air Turn back dash gimmicks.
5B - Teddie turns into a baseball player and swings at the opponent. One of his best normals because of it's ridiculous range and it is dash cancellable. On counter hit, it can knock you very far until you reach a corner to wall splat or wall bound. If teddie hits you and you block; he can back dash out of the recovery making him safe. However, it is possible to 2AB under the bat leaving both of you at neutral since the recovery on bat is pretty long since he can't DC until he makes contact.
2B - Teddie's AUB Anti Air. Hits pretty high up however it has alot of recovery on whiff so the goal is too get teddie to throw it out here and there you can air dash and throw kunai to punish this normal, or moonsault to the other side and catch him. you can also punish with C mirage slash and score a nice counter hit.
AOA - Teddie turns into a 16 ton weight. his ONLY overhead. the reason why i labeled this because it tends to cross up when he runs. If does AoA make sure you roll out the way, when you are out of roll recovery. (depending when you rolled) it puts you exactly max range for Jiraiya St.C to connect but teddie has also recovered on time so most likely he will/should block.
Sweep - Teddie slides forward and swipes at the opponent while throwing a fish. This is Teddie's only low hitting attack outside of 2A. The fish also has a hitbox, which many players forget about and end up running into while trying to punish Teddie. The fish does not hit low. If teddie does this normal max range, block the claw but when the fish comes out you can dp to knock teddie down.
2C - Teddie summons kintoki-doji and launches him in the air. Hits very high and Fatal Counters. Possibly Teddie's most rewarding combo starter. It also recovers very quickly.
This is teddie's answer to our whole Dash Spring Mixups(Flip Crossup). if we are caught, we are going to eat ALOT of damage. if you are going for any type of DS mixups use mirage slash to score a CH, You could flip back(B)
and throw (A) kunai to punish him.
Throws - Please WATCH OUT for his throws in corner. he gets about 3-4k off of a throw into oki item summon. I'm not sure if he can combo midscreen off throw.
Teddie Decoy(DP, Counter) - Teddie taunts his opponent. If hit, he explodes, bounces around the screen, and then lands far away from the opponent. The explosion is large unblockable smoke cloud which rages on hit. Projectiles will also trigger the attack though it will not rage the opponent if they are too far away.
Teddie's Furious Action is very good and impossible to punish if activated as Teddie is invincible when he reappears.
( I WOULD KNOW!, I LITERALLY BAITED IT BY HITTING HIM WITH ST.C and I AIR TURNED AND GLIDED TO THE SIDE WHERE HE WAS GOING TO APPEAR..I WAS ALREADY THERE BEFORE HE GOT THERE! but nope. hold dat invincibility)
anyway.. This is his main tool for getting out of trouble. Aside from conventional uses, it's also handy in situations where Teddie is being zoned or when a character is attempting to do Persona-based oki.
One of the best Furious Actions in the game and it has a one frame start-up also(meaning it is really fast)
lol look at the hitbox
Bearscrew - Teddie uses his claw to drill his opponent. AIR ok. Only the SB version is safe on block. A version will put Teddie in front of the opponent(sometimes, he goes behind depending when the move is activated) if you IB the last part, you can punish with 5a.. if you don't well you guys are both neutral.
B version will always put Teddie behind the opponent. putting you both at neutral however, if you are in Sukukaja, you can run and 5A for a punish.
SB version lands in front of the opponent and is +2 on block. Mostly used for combos, but is generally a fast attack so it can be used as a risky approach, means of travel, or as a punish.
He recovers faster when he uses the air bearscrews.
Teddievision/TeddieWarp - Teddie stomps on the ground as a stack of three TVs pop out of the ground.
C summons close to Teddie. I don't see too many use this move up close, probably because of the recovery.
D summons far away from Teddie. but the recovery hella long, we can punish with our speedy 5a or dash spring.
SB version will pop out wherever the opponent is. Most will use the SB if you are full screen away to fish a Fatal. Hits pretty high and all version Fatal Counter on counter hit. The TVs will stay out for a while and then disappear.
Teddiewarp Teddie will drop through a hole in the ground and pop out of a TV. C version pops him out of the top TV. D version pops him out of the bottom TV. SB version emerges from the TV with some invincibility.
The teleport is pretty fast and can be used to either escape situations, cross up, or close in on the opponent very quickly. Teddie can attack shortly after popping out of the TV.
Teddie Warp Special is activated by warping just as the TVs disappear. Instead of Teddie popping out of the TV, Teddie will fall from the sky above where the TV disappeared.
2D Teddie - teddie deflates to the floor basically giving him a super low hurtbox. this usually lets him avoid jump ins. A is a pretty short one, B is longer and SB allows him to move while being deflated.
and finally circus bear..
Teddie can only do this during awakening, but people...PLEASE DON'T LET HIM GET AWAY WITH THIS! IT IS UNBLOCKABLE SO YOU SHOULD TIME YOUR JUMP or ROLL or DP(depending who you are) but as Yosuke my fellow brosukes..if a teddie randomly does this without any setup..
just super jump and moonsault flip 3 times..problem solved.
Now to give my analysis on this matchup.
honestly this matchup is pretty tough for yosuke imo, we have to go to him because if we run from him, teddie can just keep summoning items until he gets what he wants to catch us. we don't have alot space to keep running thanks to the action figures, Amagiya Buckets, Lightning Ball and e.t.c
avoid the corner. tech his grabs if you are in the corner and watch out for his air turn mixups midscreen.
the following combo whiffs on teddie/chie
236B, 236A~A, 236B~B. instead stick to 236A~A 2x.
Last edited by ShadowFiend; 11-13-2012 at 09:18 PM.