This is the thread for investigating ways to punch Naoto in the face.
Well, let me be the first one to tell the truth. Playing against Naoto is a pain in the ass. Not only because Brokihiko is full CQC, but also because her pokes are ridiculously strong. Her j.c can get you in a very bad position if you don't time your 2.c. Trying to get close is a difficult task, mainly because she specializes in not lettin' you get close to her via her traps or her shots.
Caesar is almost useless in this kind of fight, mainly because if you miss the hit, or are too far away, he will be a sitting duck.
However, I was able to find some info that I consider useful. You are welcome to discuss this or to add your own.
1) The skill level of your opponent is a big factor in the fight. Why? Because the novice Naoto player is not as nasty as an experienced one. The amount of traps and pokes vs. a novice Naoto user is significantly less than the veteran player.
2) Your skill level. I'm sure that you already know that abusing 236.a or b is a bad tactic, right? Put on good use that ducking and weaving.
3)Sukuna-Hikona is extremely annoying. Not only because she has a long reach, but also because she can be use to force you to jump like crazy just to avoid her or to dash like a bull into a slaughterhouse. Is better to try and break her from time to time. Using your 5.c to balance up the things is a good choice.
4) Maybe the Assault Dive can be seen as a good choice to close up the distance, but remember that in case of blocking, you are as good as dead.
5) Your ex moves now are useful! Some of your usually useless vs. ranged moves now are useful! Ex Kill rush for example.
6) A very useful move is to use Ducking followed up by a Corkscrew. Not only it gets you close enough to start your pressure, but will also make your opponent panic as they will be forced to either block it or jump it. Note that an experienced player can put a trap just in your path and combo it. Use it when you know they can't react so fast, like when she shoots her gun.
7) Don't Panic. Playing against Naoto can drive you to the verge of insanity because you will find yourself in a very nasty situation, but don't worry. If you keep your mind calm and focus on closing the distance, sooner or later, your opponent will make a mistake that you can use to break their guard down and pressure them to the limit.
8) Don't fall into the temptation of using thunder fists. That sp can be used to use your ex moves instead of doing something that will probably don't benefit you. Use it only when the situation is favorable.
9) Be smart. Be brave, and remember: History remembers us for what we do.
Last edited by Brokihiko; 08-15-2012 at 06:55 AM.
This match-up is surprisingly difficult for Akihiko. I played 16 matches with OmniScythe yesterday and lost all of them, BUT I learned a lot. Naoto has a very unusual moveset that makes it more difficult than normal for Akihiko to get in. Don't try to close distance with corkscrew or kill rush because you'll just run into a trap. EX kill rush may help since it has armor, though. Naoto's normals are fairly weak compared to other footsie-oriented characters, but Akihiko has no footsies at all so it doesn't matter. It can feel frustrating but Naoto is a glass cannon and will melt under Akihiko's pressure once he's close, so don't ever give up!
Things that help this match-up:
* Naoto's R-Action can be crossed up after a knockdown to make the follow-up whiff. I'm fairly sure it can be safe jumped too, but I need to test how quickly the follow-up can be activated.
* If you have a life lead, DO NOT APPROACH HER. She has no mid-full screen mixup so holding back will negate any damage. Navigating her jungle gym of traps is extremely difficult for Akihiko so use every opportunity you can to keep her out of that position. Remember: the more traps you get hit by, the faster she can instant kill you from any hit confirm into super.
* Save your burst for SMP combos. If you're playing a good Naoto then it will happen. Use it after she blows the meter for her super, and only on something she can't interrupt for a burst prediction like Double Fangs to be extra safe.
* If you corner her, WATCH OUT FOR EX AIM. She can cross up and go straight into her SMP loop from there. If she has 75+ meter, then try to space yourself so that EX Aim can't cross-up and be ready to throw her out of a roll. God help you if you're the one in the corner.
I agree whole hardedly, but at the same time you absoulty have to respect her range game running on life lead can be dangerous due to her gun and super.
i lost to a naoto today but i run it back with her im still new with akihiko but i can i still learn how to use him pretty well but naoto has a juggle just like dante from umvc3 and keep getting hit
20 minutes in is me vs the creator of this thread in what seems to be how this match goes on paper for me. Someone tell me im wrong and what to do here.
Mains: P4U-, BB-Bang, SCV-Xiba, UMvC3-Dante/Nova/Strider, UNB-